The dentists at Pinjarra Dental Surgery are enthusiastic and committed to the health of your teeth and gums. In addition to visiting the dentist every six months for a check-up, here are some other ways that you can maintain optimal dental health:
- Brush twice a day – Using a soft bristle toothbrush, brush your teeth for two minutes each morning and night. To protect your tooth enamel, it is best to brush your teeth before a meal or thirty minutes after eating.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste – Fluoride in toothpaste helps to strengthen tooth enamel and reduces the risk of decay.
- Floss your teeth once a day – Dental floss is an interdental cleaner that allows you to clean the areas that a toothbrush can’t reach. Such as the tight spaces between the teeth and along the gap between the base of the tooth and gum. It is recommended that you floss before brushing, as it makes brushing more effective.
- Improve your diet – Sugary and acidic foods and drinks weaken tooth enamel, which leads to cavities. By decreasing your sugar intake, soft drinks, confectionery and other junk foods, you can help to protect your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating – Rinsing after you eat will help to wash away bacteria and protecting your enamel from erosion.
- Avoid chewing anything that isn’t food – Avoid opening packets with your teeth or chewing on objects like pens as it encourages chipping and risks breaking your teeth.
If you would like to find out more about how Pinjarra Dental Surgery can help you maintain your oral health, please call our friendly receptionist on (08) 9531 1660 or book an appointment online.
Disclaimer: Any surgical or invasive procedure carries risks. Before proceeding, you should seek a second opinion from an appropriately qualified health practitioner.